I would also love to see _rev renamed, and I think it's a good
opportunity to flip around all the meta info as well. I'm still
partial to moving the relevant metadata into the headers, and no
longer including any _* fields in the doc, but I know there are
proponents on both sides of the coin there. The most recent proposal I
could find is to move all the metadata into a '_' field [1]. In 2.0 I
would like to see us move all metadata into headers or into the '_'
field, and rename 'rev'. There's a lot of code overlap for the two so
it seems like an opportune time to do it.

I wonder if it's reasonable to make the use of a '_' field or exposed
through headers configurable. I'm not sure it's a great idea to do so,
but it's at least worth thinking about.

Exposing conflicts by default is another thing I'm keen on. The
question is how to make it "fail" loudly so that client libraries
don't just think it's the document body. An aggressive approach send a
list of conflict revs rather than a doc object which will break all
existing parsers and require users to deal with. Then if you want a
particular rev, you'll need to specify it in the request.

We could also cleanup the API endpoints to make them more RESTful. IMO
things like _all_dbs and _all_docs should be the top level endpoints
and the current info endpoints moved to _info or some such.

Along the lines of API cleanup is the capabilities engine. I think
this would be a great thing to land, and if done properly could be a
self defining REST endpoint showing all the things the server is
capable of and how to reach them.

-Russell

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/201312.mbox/%3c529de44c.4090...@bigbluehat.com%3E