> >> Why?

Breaking in here again - this question makes it sound like you are
arguing against the system of record being JIRA. See below...

> > Because (ASF Member hat on) if GH goes away, the project would be
> > crippled, severely so. Losing the institutional memory of what
> > is going on is a serious problem.
>
> That’s why I suggested the option of a sync bridge like we do with
> PRs
> (which are just issues with a patch attached).

If a new GH Issue is created, are you proposing an Infra bot
creates/owns the issue in JIRA? If so then JIRA is still the system
of record and I have little-to-no issue.

> > Because otherwise you need to migrate a couple thousand bugs
> > out of JIRA, including all history, into GH, which is problematic
> > and
> > will certainly result in a loss of fidelity.
>
> Why? I didn’t suggest retiring JIRA.

I thought you were. My mistake. If we are just considering GH Issues
as a frontend to JIRA, and JIRA remains the system of record, similar
to how GH is just a front end for getting things officially merged
into our ASF git repo, I am fine.

> > Do not conflate system performance with reason for existence and
> > utility. Would you feel differently if performance was up to par?
>
> I find the UI overly complex, uninviting and downright confusing, no
> matter the performance, but the fact that it takes 30-60 seconds for
> every interaction makes me going to JIRA the rarest occasion. I can’t
> imagine how this feels to the regular / drive contributor, because I
> have the patience to sit through this.

I regularly use a JIRA instance with zero performance issues and it's
a joy to use, especially the task planning board where cards are
dragged around. It's really not far off from the Trello user experience
except there are more things that can be filled in.

> > We should definitely take up this issue with Infra *separately* as
> > the inability for us to do our work within the system clearly is
> > having a material impact.
>
> +1.

As you are the one having the most issues, can you start the discussion
with Infra? ;)