> On 02 Jul 2015, at 10:12, Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Robert,
>

> On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Robert Kowalski <r...@kowalski.gd> wrote:
>> Here are the things I found out or I had to explain:
>>
>> - the feature is not intended for more than 5, maybe 10 nodes as it is
>> not feasible for the user and also gets more and more error prone the
>> more nodes we have in the cluster (e.g. network partitions)
>>

> Indeed, at some point of nodes amount, you'll have to use different
> tools to manage config.
> There is always big difference in the workflow for "few" and "many" cases.
>
>> - for all other settings the cluster is in a state where the configs
>> on the nodes are different, maybe up to 10 minutes for a 10 nodes
>> cluster that gets a new configuration manually using the UI by
>> clicking through the nodes. For a change of the Basic-Auth settings
>> that means that the user (developer using CouchDB) has to throw a lot
>> of code onto the client that uses CouchDB to handle the situation of
>> the inconsistent cluster
>>

> When you have a lot of nodes, you'll already have to use some DevOps
> magic or you're doomed. In this land, you'll unlikely will have any
> need to edit anything in config through Fauxton.
>
>> - when we try to just update all nodes at once using multiple AJAX
>> requests the cluster is maybe inconsistent for a few seconds. While
>> this is also a problem it really gets a problem when we try to change
>> sections like the admin-config where Fauxton gets a 401 at some point.
>> The 401 happens as the node we are talking to with our JS already got
>> the new password and applied the change. This problem looks different
>> when talking directly to a node or talking to it behind a load
>> balancer (as the load balancer shuffles our requests to /_session)
>>

> Oh no, reinventing cluster-wide configuration on top of Fauxton is
> not a good way to go.
>
>> Here is the proposal for the config section in Fauxton:
>>
>> Detect if we are running in "Single Node Mode". This can be a N=0
>> setting which was set by the setup wizard that is coming to Fauxton if
>> the user chooses that they don't want to setup a cluster - or can also
>> be a node count of 1 in /_memberships.
>>
>> Just if that is the case, we are displaying the config as we can
>> guarantee that the config and login is working for the user. If we
>> detect that we have multiple nodes we are displaying an info with our
>> suggested way to change the config for clusters.
>>
>> For the case a node is not joined into a 50 nodes cluster yet there is
>> no use-case in using Fauxton for configuration as they will be managed
>> automatically, but even then an admin could use the UI to copy over
>> the config bits to the new node until it is joined. Until then and
>> also after the join (given the admin copied all config sections
>> properly) the UI stays usable (no random 401s)
>>
>> The new endpoint would be still useful for ad-hoc HTTP queries to find
> [...]

Heya Alexander,

I really like your attempt to preserve this 1.x-ism for small clusters.

I’m not sure I feel really good about this though, for the same reasons
that Robert K outlined.

I’d be more comfortable in saying 2.0 does not have any config screen
in Fauxton and for 2.1 we figure out cluster-wide configuration and then
that gets a Fauxton UI.

For our 2.0 messaging then, we could explain that the 1.x-ism compatibility
release is 2.1 (or whenever this can land), so that people migrating from
1.x need to be aware of this limitation, or wait until 2.1.

Robert, I’m with you and Klaus, make it so! :)

Best
Jan