On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Dale Harvey <d...@arandomurl.com> wrote:

> I do think multirepos is an issue and that solution is not so simple, we
> went through the same issues with pouchdb as we attempted to split out our
> repository.

If I understand correctly, this is what we do now...

> 1. Dont split out into lots of repositories, if you put those components
> inside the CouchDB repo, then they will get the CouchDB tests run against
> them when changes are made and you wont break the CouchDB repo.

...and that is what we used to do.

> 2. Anything that does live outside the CouchDB repo, pin their version
> inside the CouchDB repo, dont have commits to subproject X automatically be
> applied to CouchDB, that means you can commit whatever you want to X but
> CouchDB will still be working, when you come to update the version of X you
> pinned, you can see that it breaks and not update until it is fixed.

As I read this, I immediately thought of package systems. Perhaps we have a
problem where we have splintered the project into different parts, but
those parts are insufficiently managed, insufficiently stitched together.

Maybe it is something as simple as tying the software together through Git
tags, and those tags are semver releases.

In any case, I feel like we have used separate repos for long enough to get
a feel for it. It sounds like it is time to revisit the pros and cons of
this and to decide how to proceed.