Hi Johs!

Thanks! I am interested in data journalism, and data visualizations as well.

Using CouchDB with d3 in an app could be really interesting.

There is another library called RaphaelJS that is pretty good.
(http://raphaeljs.com/)
It is more SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) focused, so their aren’t as many
functions that work on collections of data, but it’s a powerful tool for
designers to make their own visualizations, and not be “locked-in” to the
visualizations that D3 has already set up. (And everything scales! it’s built
for scaling :)

Another library I’ve been playing around with is called ProcessingJS.

This library is art focused as well, but people are picking up to create
interesting stuff. Some neat stuff with this community.
Checkout http://www.openprocessing.org/ for demo’s and sketches.
and http://processingjs.org/ for info on the language.

I’d like to explore these more :)

Also, I was thinking that there is the issue of how Fauxton is a data
visualization of our data, and the @design mailing list will be a good place to
brainstorm ideas for Fauxton.

But all design related discussions are welcome, including how to build
visualizations with CouchDB powering the data.

For example, I’d like to think about some ways to scale the visualizations. Not
like height and width, but what to do if my data viz has million of data
points?  I recently was asked how to render a front end application
visualization that could potentially have millions of data points and could
break the client.
My initial response to this was to bin the data, then render it, but as I
thought about it over the next couple of days, it seemed like a good topic for
discussion.

and I am open to hearing what others would think is the best approach for that
type of situation.

- Michelle