Michelle, Robert and ermouth,

I very much agree with ermouth that the old-fashioned email list is not for
designers.
I don't know why IRC and plain text email stick with developers, but they
surely won't build a designer community effficiently.
We need to use a social media platform suitable for proposal writing and
discussion.

On the proposal development process, this is something I see holding the
CouchDB community back.
Even when processes are announced, they seem to be ignored. A very common
break-down og communications is when discussions of process and issue mix.
It is often worthwhile discussing a process separately and conclude before
tackling the issues.

Choosing a platform with features that intuitively support a process could be
seen as a short-cut to a healthy process.
What I would suggest is to use Medium.com <http://medium.com/>
Each contributor is forced into developing an article and may illustrate as
needed
Comments are added inline and makes an excellent platform for discussion,
keeping the comments aside and short, yet in context, with the original
proposal in focus
The Author of a proposal is in charge of the commenting on her/his proposal and
may privately explain why some comments are not included
The article can be developed over time - with its comments - rather than
referring the readers an unreadable thread

The contributions in the form of proposals (articles) under continuous
development with comments from any Medium user would come together on a
**publication** that would be curated by an assigned person.
Here is an example of such a publication
https://medium.com/user-experience-design-1
<https://medium.com/user-experience-design-1>

Instead of establishing another mailing list, the Medium publication could then
be referred to on the marketing list when new proposals arrive.

johs