Thanks Garren and Jan. Seems the ansible role picks up 4.x by default.
I've overridden that to 6.x. That brings with it node 6.10.1 and npm
3.10.10 today. New CI images will be pushed later today.

BTW it's important to note that we'll have trouble running node 7.x on
older OSes:

https://github.com/nodesource/distributions/blob/master/OLDER_DISTROS.md

so please let me know if there is any move towards Fauxton *requiring*
that new of a version of node (or npm that needs that version of node)
to function.

-Joan