hm, this is a pickle.

The out of the box settings are;

[chttpd]
port = 5984

[httpd]
port = 5986

You should always be talking to the chttpd port.

The only thing that should be listening on port 5984 is couchdb itself, so
perhaps you have two installations on the same machine?

In any case, the change you should have made was;

[chttpd]
port = 5988

couchdb doesn't care which port you use but it matters enormously that you are
coming into the clustered port (the 'c' in 'chttpd' means 'clustered').

B.