Hi committers,

I'd like to propose a change to our policy on version control, namely
that no check-ins be allowed on the master branch unless CI test runs
against that PR are clean.

We've worked hard as a group to get runs clean. We need to protect
that achievement and investment in our test suite. That means not
letting rogue check-ins slip by because we are ignoring a red X in
GitHub (GH) from the Travis run.

Things I see as exceptions:
* Changes to things clearly not related to the test suite, i.e.
  documentation, support scripts, rel/overlay/etc/ files, etc.
* Changes already agreed upon in a previous PR/discussion for
  administrative tasks

Interesting situation right now for a discussion: Garren has a PR up[1]
that enables the mango tests to be part of the standard Travis/Jenkins
runs. Unfortunately, it doesn't pass on one of our platforms right now
and that needs investigation. Should we allow the PR to land and fix
the problems in master, or should the PR hold-up until it can land along
with the fixes for the failing mango tests? I can see both sides of this
argument.

It may or may not be possible for our GH setup to actually prevent such
checkins (the Apache GH setup is somewhat restricted, and various things
like commit hooks and webhooks have to be configured by INFRA, not us).

I'd like to further discuss whether people feel such a hook would be
acceptable, onerous or otherwise. Personally, I worry that such a setup
might prevent us from checking in some of the exceptions above, but if
there is a way around it, we could proceed down that path.

What do you think, sirs?[2]
Joan

[1]: https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/753
[2]: It's a Mystery Science Theatre 3000 Joel reference. :)