+1, have found this useful / necessary with PouchDB over the years

Describing our workflow as it may be useful (its also very similiar to
mozillas). We have Tier 1
supported platform, node stable, stable releases of browsers etc a checkin
is not allowed to make
those go red, if something lands that makes them red it gets immediately
reverted

Tier 2 systems, like CouchDB 2.0 for the period it was under development.
We take a best effort
at keeping it green but it doesnt prevent patches from landing. If it goes
red it is someones job to get
it green, if it stays red for a long period of time it becomes unsupported.
(We are still in the process of moving
couch2 to tier1)

This allows us to stay pretty stable while not be too restrictive for
building new features / supporting new
platforms. The important thing however is the zero policy rule on Tier 1,
once there is any reason for
people to ignore failing tests they decay super quickly and it gets very
hard to bring them back, for a while
we had the policy of fixing things in master but there are always
complications, backing out, fixing the tests
and relanding is far more reliable