One parenthetical...

> From: "Adam Kocoloski" <kocol...@apache.org>
>
> On a somewhat-related note, I have had conversations before with
> folks who are keen to adopt these sorts of fine-grained access
> control systems who said they actually prefer to have a 403
> Forbidden response list the set of privileges that would be
> sufficient to access the resource. I found this surprising, but I
> guess it comes down to a user needing to figure out what kind of
> security exception to apply for in order to make progress with some
> data analysis. I think this is a topic on which we could make a
> fairly late-binding decision — or even have it as a configurable
> option.

Anyone who's ever had to deal with Amazon's AWS IAM configuration
certainly can appreciate this need. I'm +1 on the idea, assuming it's
not hard to implement...but...

The problem is that it can be a data leak. In Jan's initial gist, he
shows the _access field being populated by usernames only (Scenario 1).
The only possible exception here is to get your username added to the
_access field on that document.

If we do this via roles, then you could be leaking role name
definitions via this response. Not sure we care, but having a full
list of roles that could possibly provide that permission is certainly
a hole.

If we do this via _capability_, then you're looking at a set of
permissions such as reader, writer, deleter, and that specific
permission could be returned:

  {"needed":"writer", "obtained":"reader"}

That'd work, but it's different from what Jan has proposed to date, I
believe, especially in distinguishing between read, write, and delete.

-Joan