Hi dev@couchdb,

To eliminate the need for formatting-related comments and thus
unnecessary cycles in PRs, I've invested a little time to see if we
could use a formatter on `main` [1].
The PR reformats `.erl` files in `src` and the script [2] included
shows that the compiled binaries match "before" and "after".
The formatter used in the PR is `erlfmt` [3] which is an opinionated
[4] tool so it's more of a "take it or leave it" as-is. (We could try
using other formatters if we want in case people want formatting but
think the choices `erlfmt` makes are unacceptable.)
Some members of the CouchDB dev community already left some great
comments on the PR and I haven't seen any strong opposition so far,
but I wanted to make sure more people are aware of this.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns (or objections),
please let me know.

Thank you,

Donat

[1]: https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/3568