I'm fully in favor of part 1, +1

On the docs, I'd say a slightly hesitant +1 as is, given the situation
Jan describes. I still think it would be an improvement to merge the
repo since PRs which correctly update couchdb+docs would more likely
keep changes and their docs together. Aside from direct docs
synchronization for updates to functionality in couchdb's main repo, I
think this combining helps with keeping an update to any dependency
version in rebar with its changes to couchdb/docs, which could reduce
accidentally missing new visible functionality when updating
dependencies of older branches for bug fixes.

I would like to suggest that we explore options with automation to try
to help remember all doc changes for a PR. I.e. the checkbox in the PR
template can help, but maybe we could also auto-label PRs with
"no-doc-changes" to remind reviewers, and/or have triggers for PRs
that do and don't touch files under docs?

Regards,
-Will