We have that same problem (avoiding putting tarballs into maven central).  Our
current approach does the following:

1) We have specific projects (usually the top level one in multi-module setups)
that produce the assembly artifacts.  These projects have a deploy configuration
override of <skip>true</skip> which prevents deployment of the tarballs.

2) Deploy is where normally the md5 and sha1 checksums are produced, so we add a
step for these projects to produce those, using the antrun pluging with the
"checksum" element.

You can see this here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/build/trunk/parent-pom/pom.xml
line# approx: 1200