In my opinion, this user request is totally reasonable.

Download time aside, it should take NO LONGER THAN 15 MINUTES to get started
with cTakes.
True, cTakes is massively powerful and UMLS is a license headache. Nonetheless!

This keeps coming up, we should strongly consider an improved VM distribution
option so folks can get online with "copy-paste" text ready applications on
their local machine.

IT WOULD BE A GAME CHANGER IN A GOOD WAY

I'm strongly considering making an Ubuntu 13.10 cTakes distribution for my own
work, would others want this as well?
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Yes I know thats a tall order, but its true ! :)

We dont have to provide the full UMLS instance, just the non-commercial
dictionaries.
Just get new users "hooked on cTakes" with ICD9 diagnoses, procedures,
medications annotations.

How do the other committers feel about this?

PS: I'm back and with more vigor++