From: dev-return-2151-Masanz.James=mayo....@ctakes.apache.org
[mailto:dev-return-2151-Masanz.James=mayo....@ctakes.apache.org] On Behalf Of
andy mcmurry
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:34 PM
To: dev@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: Re: cTAKES user interface

Ricard:

Groovy idea.
Virtual Machine could benefit from that as well.

*## IMHO: These are parallel tasks that I think are higher priority than
new features.
*It isn't as glamorous as playing Jeopardy, but deploy issues are keeping
users out -- if I were to guess A LOT of the potential user base looks at
ctakes and says "wow that amazing! "

then they look at how complex it will be to do their simple "Hello Ctakes"
example and the 15 minutes of attention -- we are one walk to the soda
machine away from being either embraced or forgotten. It really is that
basic -- if it takes to long to get started, chances are new users -- wont.

The documentation is nicely done and this is absolutely no criticism of
that.
In fact, I apologize for being so out of touch (was thesis writing ).

It just feels like 1992 all over again and your compiling linux just to
find out you didn't tweak your VGA card settings right, and now your stuck.
But you still think linux rocks.

2013 is here and linux now runs out of the box.
The OS itself has changed less in features and more in ease of use.

I know its not Jeopardy but we gotta do it.
*## I'm going to make a VM (Ubuntu 13.10) for myself and let everyone kick
it around. **I strongly encourage the Groovy deploy targets as Richard
suggested. *

This really isn't an either | OR.
We need to be able to have easier turn around on cTakes so we can get back
to Jeopardy.

*## Who agrees, and are there any counter proposals? *

AndyMC