Hello, my name is is Raymond Li and I am currently working on a team
project involving cTAKES. The goal of our project would be to use cTAKES to
analyze posts on social media (such as tweets, forum posts, public
available data) in order to catch in real-time any adverse effects of
prescribed drugs and do a public service of protecting people from harmful
drugs.

Aside from this introduction, I do have only one question to ask to proceed
with this project: Is cTAKES capable of understanding slang words as
symptoms. An example is if I were to say "I took Crestor and feeling bad"
is there a way for cTAKES to recognize that Crestor had a negative effect?
My team has not been able to isolate 'bad' as a negative effect as it is
not a defined medical symptom, but it would be nice to figure out if such a
solution exists, or if we would need to develop our own solution and how we
could go around doing it.

My team and I would appreciate any comments or assistance regarding our
project and this current issue. Thank you and have a nice day!

--
Sincerely,

Raymond Li