Hi Gandhi, Sean, Tim, Alex, James,

Good news, I was able to get MySQL running in the `ctakes-gui` (recall that
I am building in a toggle so that folks can create dictionaries using MySQL
rather than HSQLDB script files).

I found out the source of the issue with bringing in the MySQL dependency.
This one definitely took me a while and was super subtle! If you visit
/ctakes/ctakes-distribution/src/main/assembly/bin.xml,
<exclude>mysql:*</exclude>is present because it's a
 non-asf compliant dependency used by ytex.

Removing the exclude and addingin
<include>mysql:mysql-connector-java</include> gets the correct result:

/ctakes/ctakes-distribution/target/apache-ctakes-4.0.1-SNAPSHOT/lib
matthew
​​
% ls -lash | grep mysql
  3912 -rw-r--r--   1 matthew  staff   1.9M Dec 14 20:23
mysql-connector-java-6.0.6.jar

Just for completeness, this is the exact POM entry:

      <dependency>
         <groupId>mysql</groupId>
         <artifactId>mysql-connector-java</artifactId>
         <version>6.0.6</version>
     </dependency>

Is there anyway we can use MySQL in cTAKES in a way that is compliant with
ASF? I wonder if MariaDB or Postgresql would be better because they work
with JDBC and are free/open source. Of course, I am biased towards
MySQL/MariaDB because the (near) future users of cTAKES Rest Service in the
OpenEMR space are going to want MySQL/MariaDB users :). Not a huge deal
though.

Thanks,

Matthew Vita
www.matthewvita.com