Hi CXF Folks,

  see in lined comments below:

Daniel Kulp wrote:
On Wed June 3 2009 3:18:36 pm Jeff Genender wrote:
I actually prefer the injection/override of an implementation via a
property...

This is quite common (see the XML parser, JACC, etc) and sounds like
it could lend itself very well to what is trying to be done here.

Just because its "quite common" doesn't mean it works well. :-) For example: the META-INF/services thing really does NOT work well in an OSGi environment. The ServiceMix folks have to have separate "api" jars for everything that uses the META-INF/services stuff that use a different lookup mechanism. Plus, the whole META-INF/services thing really depends on classpath ordering and such which users never seem to get right. If CXF is first, it would use CXF's and the JBoss customizations wouldn't trigger. If JBoss's is first, they would.
This is exactly the reason why I don't like META-INF/services suggested fix. We have many complaining users on our forums about Stack XYZ doesn't work. Many times its because their IDE isn't configured properly. Users would need to take care also about classpath ordering
if we would go this way.
That said, the listener thing Richard proposed has some additional benefits as well when integrating into other containers such as ServiceMix or Camel.
Dan

Jeff