I added a system test for a policy first case and refactored few bits along
the way, as well as closed [1] as 'Wont fix', at least for now.

I've just updated UsernameTokenInterceptor[1] so that a (WSS4J) principal
can be created directly if a message property disabling the validation of
passwords has been set.

This property can be set as a jaxws contextual property in which case
interceptors further in the chain will be able to get the (unauthenticated)
Principal, validate it, and set a SecurityContext as needed.

Another approach used in the system test is to write a custom interceptor[3]
extending UsernameTokenInterceptor and disable the validation from there.
This custom interceptor is currently being registered by setting a bus
property, see [4]. Note that a jaxws endpoint adds
SimpleAuthorizationInterceptor only and has no callbacks registered.

See [5] for more details.

It looks quite reasonable to me at the moment, perhaps there could be a
simpler way to register custom interceptors.

Dan, you've mentioned the fact you were planning to refactor some of the
policy interceptors so that WSS4JInterceptor is not used for UsernameToken
processing at all. I'd appreciate if you could look into this refactoring
yourself, there could be some subtleties there I'm not aware of. Also,
personally I'd prefer registering a noop processor with WSS4J rather adding
a flag to WSS4J, perhaps this noop processor can be used for handling other
types of tokens, using an approach similar to the one taken by
UsernameTokenInterceptor, unless yourself, David V, others have something
else in mind...

cheers, Sergey

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WSS-229
[2]