Hi

Thanks for this patch, I think it's a nice interesting example, shows the bare Activator and ServiceTracker in action...

Please see comments inline

On 18/10/11 05:28, K Fung wrote:
Hi all,

I've uploaded the initial code sample to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CXF-3859 to garner the first round of
feedback. Per request, it includes a README to explains how it works.

In particular, I'm looking feedback for the following issues:

- What's your opinion to using the Application model instead of
JAXRSServerFactoryBean directly?

One thing I noted that you introduce a SampleServlet, but CXFNonSpringJAXRSServlet can handle it itself. CXFNonSpringJAXRSServlet will also make sure Application instances can get JAX-RS contexts injected if needed and Applications themselves can be injected into resource classes which is all has to be supported in JAX-RS 1.1.
Using Applications is probably better for the example, but using
JAXRSServerFactoryBean will provide more options (such as applying external models to non-annotated classes).

Actually, I'm seeing the READme, CXFNonSpringJAXRSServlet should still be capable though, as it delegates via ResourceUtils to load the Application classes, that should work ?

- Is it okay not to use the latest Eclipse Equinox? I'm not using the latest
Eclipse Equinox at the moment because 1) it has issues with Felix due to use
of generics and 2) the required services bundle is not registered in Maven

probably OK for the purpose of the demo, perhaps README can clarify that. What about those java.net and snapshots repositories though, can we avoid using them ?

- What do you think about using Apache Felix's File Install to install the
bundles?

Why not, Karaf is probably using that one too

- Does the README require further enhancement or more description or perhaps
more documentation is necessary within the sample itself?

READMe is fine but I'm wondering if we should make it sound a bit more optimistic :-), we just have JAX-RS demos working in Karaf :-). In the introduction I'd only have:

"This sample demonstrates the minimal amount of bundles necessary to get a sample that uses CXF's JAX-RS implementation to work correctly in most OSGI environments", etc...

Before I declare it fit for prime time, I would like to work on the
following things:

- Check if sample runs correctly on Java 5
- Check if sample should be compiled with other samples when running maven
on the parent pom

Please do...

- Provide a run.sh sample (in addition to the current run.bat)

Can we make that run using a maven profile ? Instead of having run.bat/sh ? may be you can copy & paste the relevant "server" profile from jaxrs/spring-security or basic

- Provide an enhancement that includes the use of Apache Abdera to show the
(optional) import of the Abdera bundles

I think the latest Abdera bundle is a bit broken, recall Dan mentioning it - may've been fixed already. I would not be worried about Abdera in OSGI at the moment.

Actually see that you exclude wsdl4j which does indicate

may've been fixed after all, re the deps on the server side

I look forward to hearing what all of you have to say ... the good, the bad,
and the ugly :-)

Great stuff, thanks :-).
One possible enhancement to the sample, get plain WebClient consuming the published service, using main() or from another bundle, whatever is simpler

Sergey

Regards,
kl