On 19/12/11 10:35, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
Hi KL, All,

On 16/12/11 22:34, K Fung wrote:

In 2.5.2 on later we can think of introducing an activator into the
jaxrs
frontend so that it can discover custom Applications and providers
registered as OSGI services

Perhaps we should have a discussion on a separate thread to discuss
how you
envision seeing this? In particular, I'm wondering what's the
baseline/environment you think this would be running. For example, right
now there is no activator in the CXF JAX-RS bundle but what are the
consequence of an activator in 2.5.2+ - can it be disabled? Do we rely on
the OSGI HttpService or do we use a built-in Jetty? Can we support both?

I guess you can see that I'm pretty interested in this topic :-)

I was thinking earlier on that CXF can get a master/root activator which
will provide BundleContext, etc to individual activators which say JAXWS
and JAXRS frontends may offer; I think these activators will not act as
independent activators on its own

I guess they actually may once we get individual modules OSGI-fied. But when get cxf-bundle or cxf-rs bundle deployed these activators are plain beans; I think they have to get hold of the root activator, which is org.apache.cxf.bus.osgi.OSGiExtensionLocator, and get BundleContext from it and do whatever they need to do - ServiceTrack(er) the Application interfaces, or in case of JAX-WS listening on bundles with jaxws annotations, something like that, etc. IMHO that will be actually cool - will add a lot of dynamism, and it won't interfere with say the existing deployment model where we create blueprint or spring contexts

What I don't understand is how say OSGiExtensionLocator will pass BundleContext to frontend-specific Activator beans.

Sergey

, they will simply be able to react to
the information (BundleContext for ex) that the actual root activator
may offer.
For example, in case of JAX-RS, this sub-activator will probably
register ServiceTrackers and start listening for (JAX-RS) Application
interfaces and then will create an endpoint by using HttpService or
embedded Jetty, something like that

What do you think ?
Sergey

--