+1

Eric Johnson
Principle Technical Writer | FuseSource Corp.
emjohn...@fusesource.com | fusesource.com
office: (781) 280-4174
skype: finnmccumial | twitter: @finnmccumial
blog: http://documentingit.blogspot.com/

On Apr 25, 2012, at 7:52 AM, Sergey Beryozkin wrote:

On 24/04/12 19:30, Daniel Kulp wrote:

Just wanted to open up a discussion about dropping support for 2.3.x.
2.3.0 was release over 18 months ago.  Since then, 2.4.x was released over a
year ago and 2.5.x  6 months ago. (and 2.6 last week).   Thus, there has
been plenty of opportunity (a whole year) for people to upgrade to newer
versions.

Right now, we have 4 branches we're supporting (2.6(trunk)/2.5/2.4/2.3) and
we're likely soon going to make a 2.6 branch and open up trunk for 2.7 work
adding yet another one.  Dropping 2.3 will simplify things a bit for us.

The major "con" to it is that there are still a lot of folks using 2.3.x.
According the Nexus stats of central, last month, 2.3.3 was still the second
most downloaded version. (next to 2.5.2)   However, if they are on 2.3.3
which was released over a year ago, they haven't been grabbing the latest
patches anyway so producing more patches won't really matter to them.

In any case, I'm think about doing one more 2.3.x release (2.3.11) which
would be announced as the end of the 2.3.x line.    Obviously if any
security issues pop up we can push another release in the future, but
basically end the regular patch releases.

Sounds good, 2.3.11 will be the best one in the 2.3.x line :-)
Any objections or other thoughts?

+1

Cheers, Sergey