I think there is a gap between mux and what you will need for doing
async request-response calls.
With mux, you can have multiple websockets layered on a single socket
connection.
With that, you can queue requests and response multiplexed over a single socket.
But this still won't give you a request-response correlation for those
requests and responses that are exchanged asynchronously (unless you
add some restriction like the ordering of the messages).

regards, aki