Hello,

I'd very interested in having JAX-RS annotations - and a CXF implementation
for them - running within Vert.x, for two main reasons:

1.       the typical features you get from CXF (duh), with the possibility
of doing operations asynchronously re-using the continuation mechanism
already present

2.       to use Vert.x as a mostly-automated API gateway:

a.       some of the back-end's micro services would be registered in the
gateway (using the JAR that holds the interface with the JAX-RS annotations)

b.      the implementation of those services would be a simple proxy that
forwards the request to the back-end through an asynchronous CXF client,
once the typical validation/etc. are performed

c.       interceptors would make it possible to add features such as the
ability to do throttling/etc. based on tokens, for example

The main advantage over servlets being the event-based I/O rather than
distributing requests over a pool of threads.

Now, I'm fairly new to the CXF codebase, but I've used CXF quite a bit in
the past (but also Camel, so the whole Message/Exchange part is not entirely
foreign to me). Which leads to me think maybe I could try to get this
working and submit a pull-request when it gets to a point where it's
useable.

However, just to make sure my pull-request doesn't get instantly refused, I
have some question regarding what I plan to do (mostly: is it OK if I do it
this way?). Here's the plan:

-          turn the cxf-rt-transports-http project and its classes into
something more abstract, extracting the servlet-specific parts to a new
cxf-rt-transports-http-servlet project; this is mostly the various
parts/methods that use ServletConfig, ServletContext, HttpServletRequest,
etc.

-          this cxf-rt-transports-http-servlet project would depend on
cxf-rt-transports-http and implement servlet-specific versions of the
generic abstract classes and methods present in cxf-rt-transports-http

-          create a cxf-rt-transport-http-vertx project that does just the
same, but using Vert.x classes and mechanisms rather than the servlet
equivalent, eg: HttpServletRequest becomes HttpServerRequest

-          update the cxf-rt-transports-http-* projects so that they depend
on cxf-rt-transports-http-servlet rather than cxf-rt-transports-http

This would cover a first step that only includes a slice of the server-side
elements and nothing regarding the CXF client.

Can anyone confirm that this would be the right way to add Vert.x support to
CXF?

Thanks,

Michael