From: Michael Putters
Sent: 10/9/15, 1:35 PM
To: dev@cxf.apache.org
Subject: RE: Vert.x support
Hello Charles,

I know servlet containers have an asynchronous mode, however I don't believe
the purpose is the same as what Vert.x wants to achieve.

With the servlet asynchronous mode, you effectively release one thread but
the operation you do asynchronously will likely simply use another thread
(from another pool). This only makes sense - in my opinion - when you simply
have long-running operations and you don't want them to hold your container
(Jetty, Tomcat, etc.) threads, but at the end of the day this only moves the
"problem" somewhere else.

With the Vert.x application, everything is event-based (to simplify:
basically like Node.js or using C's select/(e/k/etc.)poll), meaning you
could potentially receive thousands simultaneous requests without needing
thousands of threads, as long as your services perform asynchronous I/O
operations. This would be the case for my "API gateway" application, or for
pretty much any service only deal with asynchronous/reactive libraries, say,
a Couchbase client, file writing, etc.

Michael