The beans.xml was missed indeed, I added it and OpenTracingFeature has been
discovered right away.
The commit is on its way. Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko

JDA> I'm holding off on doing anything to fix it.  For one, a user may not want
to use the global tracer so making it
JDA> so that they register it makes more sense.  Ultimately to solve it, I
think we should be moving server
JDA> customizations outside of CDI to ensure that it can be auto registered.

JDA> John

JDA> On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 11:12 AM Andriy Redko <drr...@gmail.com> wrote:

JDA> Hey John,

JDA>  The OpenTracingFeature (org.apache.cxf.tracing.opentracing.jaxrs package)
is JAX-RS feature,
JDA>  which JAXRS CDI extension should recognize out of the box. There is also
CXF feature (
JDA>  in org.apache.cxf.tracing.opentracing package) to be used for JAX-WS
services. The only explanation
JDA>  I have why it is not being picked up it the absense of bean.xml so we
could fix that. I will
JDA>  take a look shorly (if you haven't figured this one out already). Thanks.

JDA>  Best Regards,
JDA>      Andriy Redko

 JDA>> I'm not sure either, this is the behavior I see in the code:

 JDA>> - Register JAX-RS resources (with @ApplicationPath)
 JDA>> - Register JAX-RS resources (with @Path)
 JDA>> - Register JAX-RS providers (with JAX-RS @Provider)
 JDA>> - Register JAX-RS features (with JAX-RS @Feature)
 JDA>> - Register CXF features (doesn't care if it has a CXF @Provider
annotation but I see the OpenTracing one does have it)
 JDA>> - Otherwise we assume its the CXF Bus object

 JDA>> There's not much happening with a CXF @Provider declaration in the
extension.  But at the end of the day, I'm only
 JDA>> dealing with a JAX-RS @Provider and that doesn't get registered since
it's not a CDI bean.  I don't see any issue
 JDA>> registering CXF @Provider this way as well, but its possible it's not a
CDI bean still, but that's ultimately what the customizer was put in for.