Ok, so the mystery of the long builds seems to be revealed, but not the cause.
The downloading of the xjcplugins
artifacts from http://repository.apache.org takes 15min, as per Maven log. And
there are at least 4 times (may be
more, but 4 for sure) it is done during the build (in total, +1h). Here is the
"evidence":

17:58:03 [INFO] Downloaded from Nexus:
http://repository.apache.org/snapshots/org/apache/cxf/xjcplugins/cxf-xjc-javadoc/3.2.2-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml
 (790 B at 2.7 kB/s)
18:13:03 [INFO] Downloaded from Nexus:
http://repository.apache.org/snapshots/org/apache/cxf/xjcplugins/cxf-xjc-javadoc/3.2.2-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml
 (790 B at 0 B/s)

18:13:03 [INFO] Downloaded from Nexus:
http://repository.apache.org/snapshots/org/apache/cxf/xjcplugins/cxf-xjc-dv/3.2.2-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml
 (785 B at 2.6 kB/s)
18:28:04 [INFO] Downloaded from Nexus:
http://repository.apache.org/snapshots/org/apache/cxf/xjcplugins/cxf-xjc-dv/3.2.2-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml
 (785 B at 0 B/s)

To keep builds going, I set the "No activity timeout" to 20min for now, will be
reverted back once we solve the
problem. John, guys, any hints who might help us here? Infra team?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Andriy Redko