+1 to move forward with release (or milestone), but before that, there is one
issue which
I would like to bring up and agree us upon. The initial discussion for Jakarta
/ 4.0.0 [1] concluded
on having JDK-11 as a baseline. At the same time, there is a misalignment with
Spring 6 / Spring Boot 3
requirements which bumped the baseline to JDK-17. Now, the way we build Jakarta
/ 4.0.0 branch (main) is
like this: use JDK-17+ but set target/source to JDK-11.

With that being said, the not so good part. Technically, Jakarta / 4.0.0 bits
could be used in the
projects which are still using JDK-11. But because mostly every single piece
(starting from cxf-core) depends
on Spring, the application fail to start with
"java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError" (very easy to confirm
on any CXF provided sample). Effectively, the baseline is JDK-17, not JDK-11
(we have hoped to isolate Spring
related implementation but it hasn't happened yet and not sure it will in the
future). The question: does
anyone have a compelling usecase for keeping CXF baseline at JDK-11 level
despite being able to run only
on JDK-17 or above? If yes, I think we have to make all Spring related
dependencies optional and document
clearly that JDK-17 is needed in case Spring / Spring Boot are used, we surely
cannot leave things
as-is (in my opinion). If not, I would suggest to set JDK-17 as a baseline.

What do you guys think?
Thank you.

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@cxf.apache.org/msg17031.html

Best Regards,