So, we seem to be seeing a lot of regressions in various DFDL schemas like
most recently NITF, previously PNG.

What if users run into this in their own DFDL schemas?

These are showing unparser deadlocks due to cyclic relationships. At one
time we discussed adding a "big hammer" property or tunable that simply
turns off alignment, as a workaround for all these sorts of alignment
issues. I am wondering if we will need that so that users can work around
these alignment issues in their schemas.

Changing these schemas for 3.3.0 compatibility is highly undesirable (as
was done for PNG), even if the changes are backward compatible.

(Though if the schemas are actually incorrect in some way that we're now
detecting more effectively, that is the right fix.)