Should the issue be added to the GitHub repository, Apache Jira, or both?

On 5/24/22, 1:15 PM, "Shane Dell" <shaned...@apache.org> wrote:

    From what I am seeing it is common to use mock data to test out extensions.
I can create an issue in apache/daffodil-vscode to start work on a new test
suite for better testing UI aspects and other things that rely on the VS Code
API.

    On 2022/05/24 13:48:46 Shane Dell wrote:
    > I think to a certain extent we can create more unit tests that test out
UI components. I have not
    > done much of this but I believe that it is relatively common to do so for
frontend heavy projects.
    > However, in some cases in may be more involved some cases I have seen
they write python
    > selenium code to make sure that when you run the command the proper
action is taken. For
    > example, it would check to see that when you run the command to open the
Infoset view that
    > the infoset view is now actually opened. However, I am sure there are
other ways of testing UI
    > that I am just not familiar with. Moreover, I do think it would be best
to have tests like this as if
    > we don't we would need at least 2 people to pull down the code and fully
test out the UI itself. If
    > we have tests that just do it should make approving PRs easier and
quicker.

    > On 2022/05/23 17:43:34 Mike Beckerle wrote:
    > > Are there test automation tools available that can be used to drive the
    > > vscode debugger?
    > >
    > > This would ideally include both something that drives the UI via easily
    > > created/maintained scripts, but also things like code coverage analysis.
    > >
    > > I am always an advocate of built-in-self-test and of developers putting
in
    > > the test automation for new/changed features.
    > > This is easy enough for libraries like the main daffodil library where
we
    > > also have codecov, and sonarqube analysis, and where the CI/CD pipeline
    > > runs a test suite for us.
    > >
    > > The whole subject is harder for UIs where it depends on the ability to
    > > script testing of the UI without the tests being so fragile that any
change
    > > to the UI breaks too many of them.
    > >
    > > When a PR is created for the Daffodil VSCode IDE, what is the
developer's
    > > expectation of what happens during code review?
    > > E.g., Are you expecting that at least one reviewer downloads and builds
the
    > > new code base, and then tests the new/changed features?
    > > Or are you expecting just code-scrutiny for advice on patterns/idioms,
    > > likely errors, etc.?
    > >
    > > Please let's discuss.
    > >
    > > -mike beckerle

This message and any files transmitted within are intended
solely for the addressee or its representative and may contain
company proprietary information.  If you are not the intended
recipient, notify the sender immediately and delete this
message.  Publication, reproduction, forwarding, or content
disclosure is prohibited without the consent of the original
sender and may be unlawful.

Concurrent Technologies Corporation and its Affiliates.
www.ctc.com  1-800-282-4392