From: Mike Beckerle <mbecke...@apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2024 5:13 AM
To: John Interrante <jinterra...@apache.org>
Cc: dev@daffodil.apache.org
Subject: EXT: Rust vs. C backend

John,

What's your view of generating Rust vs. Generating C from DFDL?

Those of us working in Cyberia, well, the edict has been issued that only
memory-safe languages/runtimes are allowed to reduce risk of cyber-attacks via
things like libc flaws.

Seems to me that Rust is the lowest level language that would be acceptable

I believe ultimately, the goal is to generate a useful software implementation
that does not compromise on performance, and to be a basis for generating VHDL
or System Verilog.

I imagine you've given this some thought you can share.
Mike Beckerle
Apache Daffodil PMC | daffodil.apache.org<http://daffodil.apache.org/>
OGF DFDL Workgroup Co-Chair |
www.ogf.org/ogf/doku.php/standards/dfdl/dfdl<http://www.ogf.org/ogf/doku.php/standards/dfdl/dfdl>