Am Mittwoch 30 März 2005 05.56 schrieb Andrew Douglas Pitonyak:
> Wolfgang Schaible wrote:
> >Am Dienstag 29 März 2005 14.25 schrieb Daniel Carrera:

> >>I want to make a database, but it has proven to be extremely
> >>difficult. I was hoping someone could suggest alternatives to
> >>HSQLDB. What is the simplest way I can get a usable database,
> >>provided that HSQLDB just isn't going to work? What are the
> >>alternatives?
> >
> >Just stopped with HSQLDB, now using DBASE for a simplified flat
> > DB, a perfect design with 1:n and n:m does not working using
> > HSQLDB, forms are (as I see) read only.
> >My interrest is using the DB-Connection to read/write data in
> > Calc (hope later to convert to HSQLDB using the DBASE content).
> >
> >This approach has a big ++, it takes 1/2 hour, it works, the
> >connection to the app too, programming proceeds
> >
> >Cheers
> >wolfgang
> >
> >>Ideally I'd like to be able to do string searches. I don't need
> >>full SQL features. But I'd like to search, if it can be
> >> managed.
> >>
> >>Help?
> >>
> >>Cheers,
>
> Things are not yet stable enough in 1.9.87 using HSQLDB. That
> said, I created a very simple database. I did something like the
> following:
>
> Table: Addresses
> Primary Key: AddressID, Integer, AutoValue,
> auto-increment=IDENTITY rest of the fields
>
> Table: Numbers
> Primary Key: NumberID Integer, AutoValue, auto-increment=IDENTITY
> Field: AddressID, Integer, NOT AutoValue
> rest of the fields
>
> I then manually created a form because the form wizard ALWAYS
> crashed. I inserted a table in the form and added what ever
> fields that I wanted. I did this using the Addresses table.
> I then opened the form navigator and inserted a new form.
> I then selected the new form in the form navigator and inserted a
> new table. I did this using the numbers table.
> Note: Each form is tied to a different table.
> With the second form inserted, I think that I went to the data
> tab of the properties dialog and I tied the AddressID field
> together.
>
> This provided me with linked fields that I could update and
> delete with no problems.

More less the same approch then I used. I am not shure, what the
problem is, HSQLDB itself seems stable (working in Querrys with no
problems), the tool to define the connetion beetwen the tables is
excelent, but forms using listbox and dropdownlist are definitly
not. Strange: not the same content after restart the machine, after
another restart the old data is shown (not reproducible).
The reportgenerator produces a strange looking report, seems faster
to write the result of a querry using Basic in a spreadsheet.

After isolating some examples for isssue, I found it already
reported.

Cheers
wolfgang