Bruce,

> There was a lot of backlash against the inclusion of the new Java DB
> in OOo 2.0.  Why instead of that not SQLite?  It's public
> domain, it's native code, it's widely supported.  AFAIK itwould be
> uncontroversial choice for an embedded database.

At the time the decision was made (like, over a year ago) SQLite didn't
support data types, even by approximation.  Several people on this list felt
that a framework which supported standard typed databases would have trouble
with moving back and forth to SQLite.   Also, the licensing wasn't clear;
there's no voluntary alienation of copyright in the US, so having SQLite "in
the public domain" meant "indefinite license".

He's since cleared up both of these things, but Frank and team had already
done a lot of work with HSQLDB, including getting it re-licensed.   Also,
consider who is the sponsor of OpenOffice.org -- *of course* we used a Java
database.

From my perspective, the only problem with HSQLDB is the licensing issues
which prevent us from having the OOo installer install the JDK as well so it
will run automatically.  Send a complaint to the Sun attorneys.

(FWIW, I really like SQLite, personally.)

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions