El mié, 12-10-2005 a las 09:48, Γιάννης Παπαδόπουλος escribió:
> Hello,

Hi!
I'm not a 'dba' developer, just an observer on this list, but I could
give you my impressions. There's people on this list that could give you
a better (or more technical) answer.

> I would like to ask help concerning some problems I encounter with BASE.
> -When I import a My Sql db through ODBC it takes a long time to to load
> the tables and sometimes it crushes, greek characters are not displayed
> although the encoding  of the source is in UTF 8.

I know there were many problems in the past with some problematic ODBC
driver implementations that crashed OO.org. I suggest you to try the
latest ODBC driver distributed with MySQL. Also, verify on Edit ->
Database -> Properties, that the charset in use when communicating with
the MySQL backend is set to UTF-8.

The speed problem, I presume, is caused by the various 'layers' that
came into play. There's the OO.org API layer, that converts each query
or command from his internal data structures to their equivalents on
ODBC. Then ODBC converts again his structures to their equivalents of
backend database (in this case MySQL). This path is traversed back when
returning query results.

I recommend you, if it's possible, to use the native OO.org driver for
MySQL, so you have one only one conversion between OO.org structures and
backend database structures; also, you could benefit with some specific
functions or features of MySQL implemented by this native driver. This
will surely improve speed.

> - I have been trying to create a form in a My Sql file imported to Base
> through an Odbc driver but the system crushes every time I reach the last
> step to create the form.

This isn't supposed to happen. Suggestion: verify OO.org installation.
¿Are you working with Linux (I assume)? Uninstall, make a backup copy of
your user config folder (usually /home/user/.openoffice.org2/) and
remove it. Then install again, and re-test. I also had 'random hangups'
when using Base, due to a corrupted installation.

> -All the programs of the suite are
> connected in a way that when one hangs you, the same happen to all the
> others that you use on the same time.

Yes, because they aren't different programs. It's the same program using
different interfaces, depending on document's type. I think this is what
they call 'controller-frame-view' model.

> I allready posted these problems but I didn't receive an answer. I have
> downloaded RC2 today but this bugs persist.
>
> Thank you
> Yannis Papadopoulos

I hope this helps somehow.

Best regards,