Sorry,
I will try to be more precise. I have used theinstructions in the page "
How to connect to a MYSQL Database via JDBC - Drivers
with StarOffice/OpenOffice.org(Version 1.0.2 or later)"
http://kienlein.com/pages/mysql-jdbc-howto-en.html

1. I chose from Database Wizard "Connect to an existing Database" -->My Sql
2. Setup a Connection-->Connect using JDBC
3. Setup a connection
a. Name of the Database: press
b. Server Url: jdbc:mysql://localhost/press
c. Port number: 3306
d. My Sql Jdbc driver class: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
4. User name: root
Password not required
5. Yes register my Database
Open the Database for editing
I save the database with the name Javapress. When I click on the tables icon I get the message "The connection to the 'Javapress' Datasource could not be established. The connection to the external Data source could not be established.An unknown error occured. The driver is probably defective. I have the last edition of Java installed for Win Xp.

What shall I do next. Sorry but I don't know a thing about Java, classes etc. I am just a humanities student, trying to import a Database. I don't want to use Ms Access and I don't afford to pay a programmer. It's been more than two weeks that I try to work on this base. I have managed to use  the ODBC  driver  in  a  University computer  2  years ago. I  try now to install oo in my own computer.

Yannis

O/H Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany έγραψε:
Hello Yannis,

can anyone recommend a step to step guide to JDBC driver for OO2. I
tried to find one, but they are refering to the 1.x editions and the
interface has changed

?
Not sure what interface you're referring to, but if you have an JDBC
driver which works in OOo 1.x, it should also work in 2.0. JDBC is a
generic database access interface which is stable and
downwards-compatible ...