Hi Jozef,

(also sending this to [EMAIL PROTECTED], this has the wider audience for this
kind of questions)

> I've been following OOo dba for some time, but still cannot say if the
> following is possible:
>
> let's have several independent sxc files, think "tables". The desired
> thing is to look at defined areas as if they are "sql tables" and run
> queries on them.
>
> In ideal scenario these would be defined "on the fly" - i.e. there could
> be one "table" with a list of spreadsheets to open, then the db
> application would read the list, open all the tables listed and process
> data ..
>
> Motivation for this is the ease with which spreadsheets can be used
> for keeping and processing simple data sets - even by novice users.
> Then for processing data e.g. gathered from several people, SQL would
> be handy. For the moment read-only access to sxc would be enough.
>
> Is something similar possible with OOo dba? If yes but it needs
> coding work, where should one start looking - what parts need
> fixes/changes?
>
> If you see some issues with this idea or better alternatives for
> SQL-processing data from several .sxc files, please tell me. It needs
> to be automated solution - just gather the data files, click, and see
> results - so manual importing is not an option.

The only thing which is built-in in OOo Base:
You can create a database document (.odb file), which points to one
concrete spreadsheet document, provides the sheets of this document as
database tables, and allows (simple) data processing on it, like
selecting sub sets of table data.

This probably won't get you very far, if I understand your scenario
correctly.

As soon as you need processing which involves multiple spreadsheet
documents, or SQL selects which involve multiple sheets/tables, you need
to do this by scripting.

For this, you could create (temporary) database documents pointing to
the respective spreadsheet documents, then objects to access the data
therein, and then merge/process this data.

If you think this could be a way to go for you (depends on the details
of what you want to do), then we could go into detail ...

- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Database                   http://dba.openoffice.org -