Hello Lubo,

please note that I answer your mail in dev@dba.openoffice.org, our
project's development mailing list. Using this list is a matter of
scaling, since more people can potentially join - and benefit from - the
discussion. Please also reply to this list - thanks.

See http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Base_Mailing_List for how
to read/write this list (the site talks about [EMAIL PROTECTED], but everything
also applies to [EMAIL PROTECTED]).

>           This is a student from University of bath in UK, i am
> currently doing a project about open office database, my and my
> supervise would like to implements a web interface for openoffice
> database, basically, the project is provides a web interface for
> database, which will has the function that the same as openoffice
> Base provides. However we have a problem to start it, the database
> file that openoffice base stored seems like a XML file, however we
> can't read it from a standard text editor, we are wondering, does the
> file encoded or we need a specify editor to read it. Would you tell
> us how we can read the file, and where we can find more information
> about the file structure.

An .odb file is a ZIP-compressed file, so you first need to unzip it.
Then, you should find a number of .xml files which you can read with any
text editor.
Additionally, for embedded databases, the actual data is contained in a
sub folder called "database". The files therein comprise a HSQLDB
database - after renaming, you should be able to access them with any
halfway recent HSQLDB version.

- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -