Hi Marc,

> In general I can second your opinion, but there *are* cases where using
> the control is "a good thing":
>
> Especially when using BASIC there is no way of converting datatyes using
> an API service (at lest one I know, please tell me if so!) so you'd have
> to convert each value to the type the bound fields wants to see.
> If one uses the control/view in this scenario the only types to detect
> are Date-, Time- and FormattedField bindings, all the rest is text. The
> conversion and format checking is done behind the scenes.

Hmm, I see.

Did you ever look at
http://api.openoffice.org/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/script/XTypeConverter.html?
It does not relief you from "complex" type handling, but might be a good
first shot.

Also, I'm not sure about the BoundField's "Value" property, but my gut
feeling would be it should also do conversion. I might be completely
wrong, though.

Yet more, .updateObject on the BoundField should do conversion -
effectively, all other updateFoo methods are routed through (an internal
version of) updateObject.

> Maybe I could name some more use cases if I'd think about it ... ;)

Please think :)

- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -