Hello Sophie,

>>> However, I'm still wondering why I can't use the old report engine
>> because this is work in progress, and some things changed ... noticably,
>> we changed the versioning of the extension and how it plays with the
>> versioning of OOo.
>> Also, since the old engine is outdated, and contains more bugs than the
>> new one, you're discouraged from using it, anyway :)
>
> Well, I'm not convinced by your answer (although I thank you for it :) I
> think that the discouraging part is not what our users will accept.
> From what I've seen and test, the new report is much more usable or
> market adapted (I don't know how to say it) but there is some
> communication to make on this new extension. I find it really important
> that people won't be surprised by something that they are used to use.

Not sure if we talk past each other here.

Once we released an official version of the extension, it should be as
compatible as possible. Means you shouldn't, for instance, need a new
version for a new minor OOo update.

The "discouraged" I spoke about is about the extension which came with
the developer snapshots - this was alpha work, and you certainly *are*
discouraged from using it any longer, now that a more mature version
(though not yet the official release) is there. Once we have the
official release, we will discourage you from using the current version,
'cause it's in beta state.

Or, when you talk about "old report engine", do you mean the
wizard-based reports? If so - they're usable as before, nobody forces
you to use the extension. If *not* - i.e. if you need the extension for
opening reports which you created in version 2.2.x and before - than
this is a bug, which you should definitely submit, and which will
definitely be targeted for 2.3 by me.

- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -