Barbara,

I sure don't feel preached at, just informed. Would you by any chance know the SQL to remove leading and trailing blanks from FIELDA in TABLEB? I'm sure it's all somewhere in there, but I can't face that learning curve right now!

UPDATE TABLEB SET FIELDA = TRIM( FIELDA )

Because your table and column names are all upper case there is no need for the double quote characters.

One note of caution: Base defaults to AUTO_COMMIT = TRUE in the GUI. Therefore when an UPDATE or DELETE statement such as the one above is executed in the SQL window the changes are immediately made permanent in the database. There is often no easy way to say - oops, didn't mean to do that exactly, undue please So before you begin mass data manipulations it really is a good idea to make a backup copy of your Base file - just in case.