andrew wrote:
Marc Blakely wrote:

Drew, I've recently run into a similar situation with a database I'm developing for work.

There are two tables which I import records into from a csv file via Calc. I delete the previous records from each table prior to the import (actually append, since the structure doesn't change) of new records.

I noticed if I deleted all the records and there were no records visible in table view, that the size of the .odb file didn't shrink. In this case, the .odb file is 12mb with no records, just two table definitions, 4 queries, and 2 forms defined. A seemingly empty db.

I extracted the database/data file from the odb and found that the records (or at least the old data) was still in the database/data file.

I haven't had a chance to look, but it seems there should be some method to 'compact' the database tables.

Marc Blakely

Hi Marc,

There is a compact command, and it does need to be used to reclaim space used by deleted items.

Open the database and then the SQL window enter the command.

SHUTDOWN COMPACT

Thank you! I'll give it a try.

When the command is finished you will need to close the Base file, as the database engine will be closed.

This does clear up space, but I believe this is a different problem.
You are probably right, though there seems to be some relation. If there are no records, there should be no pointers left to deleted records for a select query (joined, if I remember the particulars right) to return the old deleted records. Shouldn't it, therefore, return an empty result set?

For example the test database I used was 13.9 megs, 1 table. I just now deleted all the records in the table. The file remains at 13.9 Megs.

After compacting, it is now 8.88 K
This is what I was hoping for when I copied the table definitions and deleted the old tables. Would it make sense to add this as a menu option?

Drew