> "The idea is to add (basic) GIS (Geographical Information System)
> functionalities to OpenOffice Base. This kind of features terribly lacks
> in standard DBMS, thus people interested in displaying maps must use
> another software - and that often means spending a lot of time to get
> used to it. I'm not talking about executing advanced spatial queries or
> image analysis, but something like displaying a map would be a good
> start."

Great idea!
Until then you might want to look at the uDig and QGIS projects or some
programs available from the US government.

uDig
http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG/Home

Wikipedia uDig
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDig

Quantum GIS (QGIS)
http://www.qgis.org/

Wikipedia QGIS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_GIS

There is also EPI Info available at the US Center for Disease Control and
Prevention (CDC)
http://www.cdc.gov/epiinfo/

and Census and Survey PROcessing system (CSPRO) available at the US Census
department.
http://www.census.gov/ipc/imps/mapview/impsmap.html

Jim Callahan
Orlando, FL