Hi Drew,

> The request is to enhance the query parser components to recognize a
> command such as
>
> CALL somefunction( params.... )
>
> - allowing escape processing for function parameters
> -- I don't know what the implications are regarding column names

They need to be provided by the DB then, there's not much chance base
could obtain them beforehand (as it does when parsing normal SELECT
statements).

> -- Also don't know the cost of supporting this only for the data sources
> that can utilize it, adding another item/option overhead I suppose
> --- Question - do the different data sources (SDB, MySQL native, etc)
> supply code/configuration options to the query component runtime, or is
> that (the query component code) singular and within it accounts for the
> different data sources?

The parser, and the query designer are pretty generic, they take into
account a limited set of meta data provided by the database/driver
itself, for instance the list of supported functions, the stuff listed
in XDatabaseMetaData, and such.
However, there's an awful lot of features which is not covered by meta
data, and thus needs either an explicit option, or guesswork, or finally
is supported in the parser/designer even if the underlying DB can't
handle it.

> Also,
>
> call CUSTOMProcedure( p1...pn )
>
> CUSTOMProcedure returnS a read only result set containing ONE row,
> columns named p0 to p(n-1)
>
> and
>
> call CUSTOMFunction( p1...pn )
>
> CUSTOMFunction returns a read only result set with zero or more rows,
> columns named IN returned result set.

Not sure it is feasible to distinguish those. I think recognizing "CALL
something( <parameter_list> )" would be sufficient. For the column
information, one would have to rely on the DB/driver, anyway, and the
number of rows is not of interest to the parser/query designer at all.

- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         frank.schoenh...@sun.com -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -