On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 22:04 +0200, Frank Schoenheit, Sun Microsystems Germany
wrote:
>Hi Terrence,

> > Where did the multiplcation by 1000 come from?  And is there some
> > context in which it is the right thing to do?  Which leads to further
> > questions ...
> >

> In general, I assume there might be backends where the 1000 makes sense,
> otherwise the issue would probably have popped up much earlier. So, to
> be on the safest possible side, one would have to introduce a setting to
> the driver which controls how the DateTime->TIMESTAMP_STRUCT conversion
> is done (we have lots of such settings, to care for different backend
> behaviors. Not nice at all, but necessary, often enough).

Digging around on the web, I found "Technical Standard, Data
Management: SQL Call Level Interafce (CLI)"
<http://www.opengroup.org/pubs/catalog/c451.htm>.  I have read
elsewhere that ODBC and SQL-CLI are almost the same.

That document says ...

    DATE, TIME and TIMESTAMP have no standard host-language support in
    either C or COBOL, and values for such columns must therefore be
    both supplied and retrieved as character strings (see Transfers
    with Conversion to/from String on page 62).

What does this mean for the way OO does things?