Hi Kristin,

Check out http://penrose.safehaus.org. Penrose lets you "map" any JDBC source and present it as an LDAP server.

yy

On Jun 15, 2006, at 7:22 AM, Kristian Rink wrote:

Hello Ersin, list;

... and at first thanks for the reply.

Ersin Er schrieb:

We do not yet have a users list so any question is fine here.

Okay, here's my "problem": I'm in the process of evaluating several
LDAP-based directory servers in order to get our user management
unified. Most of our user data currently is stored within a relational
database (more exactly, within a database structure created by some
document management system), and until I managed building a wholly new
infrastructure including tools and everything, I'd like to expose those
information (at least read-only) using LDAP.

Recently I looked at OpenLDAP and discovered that there is a solution
named slapd-sql which allows for making arbitrary data out of an SQL
capable relational database available as LDAP objects, given that there
is a meaningful configuration of SQL queries to fetch the actual data
when needed.

For several reasons I dislike OpenLDAP, and since I'm more a Java person
anyhow, I wonder if there's a way to do something similar using Apache
DS? Can I make the server connect to some database, say, using a JDBC
driver, to then "map" an LDAP hierarchy to a relational database? Has
anyone tried something like that before? Any hints on that?

Thanks in advance and bye,
Kris