I am using apache directory studio 1.5.2
You should switch to 1.5.3 :)
There is a very annoing issue with connections. If I leave connection open
for a long time open it gots frozen and it takes a long time to revive it.
Plain normal.
Maybe it is possible to add some feature to connection properties like
"keepAlive" or something so that it is alway very quick to respond.
sadly, there is nothing such as a 'keep-alive' request in LDAP. We could send a search for the rootDSE periodically, but frankly, considering that LDAP is a connected protocol, that means we will potentially have thousands of requests sent to the server just to deal with this problem. Not sure it worth the effort... (IMHO, of course)

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com