I think you first need to define your constraints and what you want to focus
on.
If you want someone to be able to write a jar to extend the api which will
work in a non osgi environment and (with minimal changes) in an osgi
environment, go for fragments.
If you want to go a cleaner osgi way, go for services, but forget about
class names in the schema directly, and you need to define two different
ways, one for osgi and one in a non osgi environment (as you won't have osgi
services at all in a flat classloader).

It's all about trade-offs.

When talking with Emmanuel this week, it seems to me that for the api,
extending the api was not a very common operation and did not really require
the osgi dynamism.  Fragments are perfect for those simple use cases.   But
for sure, if you ask an OSGi purist, the recommandation will be to not use
fragments.

--
Guillaume Nodet