Le 16/09/14 22:17, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
> Hi Shawn,
>
> On 09/16/2014 01:32 PM, Shawn McKinney wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> In order to increase the number of contributers and broaden adoption I
>> am considering contributing Fortress to the Apache Directory project.  I
>> am offering this donation under the advisement of Emmanuel Lecharny who
>> is also a committer on the Fortress project.  Emmanuel has focused his
>> efforts on integrating Fortress with the Apache LDAP API and that work
>> is nearly complete.  Please let me know if you would be interested in
>> discussing this further.
> Thanks for the proposal.
>
> I agree that Fortress is a good fit to the other projects at Apache
> Directory. So if you and others think that Fortress should be a
> sub-project then I won't oppose.
>
> However I also have concerns. The Directory project already has 5
> subprojects, 3 of them with more then 200k LOC each, but only 2 active
> committers. I just want to avoid that we inject yet another code drop
> that nobody maintains later.

That's a concern I share, but I think it's a bit orthogonal to Fortress.

Peter summarized the concern quite well : it's all about the lack of
advertisement, which brings light on the projects, which brings
committers...

We have to work on those aspects :
- stable versions that *works* (in production !)
- better documentation (the number of TODO on teh web site is just a
shame...)
- better exposition on what we currently have

IMHO, the work on Mavibot is absolutely critical for #1, and this is
something Kiran and I are working atm. It's painful, hard, and time
consumming, but we are lamost there.

The second and third concerns are to be addressed quickly too.

Regarding Fortress, I have to tell that the code base is stable, the
documentation is far superior as what we have currently on ApacheDS, so
I don't fell like it would be a huge problem in the near future.