My 10 cents...  a pure Java solution is much better for many reasons:

1) easier to use, don't have to think about a different version per OS
2) easier to build (obviously)
3) easier to test, don't have to worry about inconsistency introduced by
different builds of the native lib
4) ...

That said, being able to plug in a different backend via configuration is
always valuable, and already supported, so I certainly wouldn't complain if
somebody wrote an adapter for the native storage engine.

Lucas